Date: July 16 2011
Time: 2 pm – 7pm
Location: On the Street -- Lorne Avenue --- Between English and Ontario
Facebook Event Page –Search -- Old East Village Block Party
Plans for the OEV Block Party are well underway and a committee of neighbourhood volunteers has been working hard to get this party started! We have received a tremendous amount of support (especially from the residents of Lorne Ave -- thanks again!) but we are always looking for more input. The main purpose of this event is to encourage residents of the neighbourhood to get to know each other and have fun while doing it. As we all know, a friendlier neighbourhood is a safer neighbourhood. There are planned children’s events including: the Library Road Show, Engine 81 (fire engine), face painting, crafts for a variety of ages, bubbles and an obstacle course. There is the possibility of a dunk tank, jumping castle, and free cotton. Neighbourhood arts and culture will be displayed throughout the event, including visual art displays and live musical entertainment from village musicians. We are also planning to have a street hockey tournament running throughout the day and will possibly have a display of classic cars from the neighbourhood. The food arrangements are still in motion, but we expect to do an informal barbeque made up of donated hotdogs, hamburgers, and veggie burgers/dogs.
What we need from you:
1. Volunteer to lead up the food/barbeque section of the Block Party. This job will require the organization of getting barbeques to Lorne Ave on the day of the party and working with myself – Mike Courey – to secure the barbequing items. Some funding is available for this section of the block party. Please email email@example.com if you are interested.
2. Pop, Juice, and chip donations for the day of the party. We are going to try and secure the barbequed items through local business donation and community funding but if we can gather the drinks and chips to go with the meal from the neighbourhood this would be great. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a donation commitment of what you will bring for the day. If you would rather donate money to help make the barbeque successful we are able to issue donation receipts.
3. Children’s event donations. We need any donations of craft supplies, bubble solution, colouring books, and sidewalk chalk. As well we need day of volunteers to help run children’s activities. If you have any donations or would like to volunteer with the children’s events please email Catherine Tansley at email@example.com
4. Children’s entertainers and coordinator. We are looking for musicians, story tellers, or any other form of child oriented performances (magic shows, clowns etc.). Right now we have someone organizing all of the music/entertainment (children’s and adults) but we could use a volunteer to focus on making a really good kid’s entertainment stage line-up. If interested email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Musicians – We are looking for neighbourhood musicians who are willing to show off their talents. We are looking for a wide variety in music styles. Let us know if you are interested in performing. Sets will range from 30 to 45 minutes.
6. BOOTHS are available - Neighbourhood visual artists, residential businesses, or artisans of any kind, are welcome to apply to have a booth set up at the block party. The purpose of these booths is to raise awareness of the variety of talents and services present in our community. Email email@example.com with the details of what you would like to set up.
7. Day-of Volunteers – we need more volunteers to help run the event on the day of the party. Day of volunteering needs range from security to clean-up to supper time barbequers. Day of volunteering does not have to span the entire day. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how long and from what time between 12:30 and 8pm you can volunteer on the day of the event.
8. Hockey team sign up – If you have a street hockey team that you would like to sign up or just want to get on a team yourself please contact us. The street hockey event is contingent upon how many people show interest. To sign up email email@example.com.
We look forward to working with all of you and hope that we can pull off a great community party on July 16th. If there are any questions or concerns please contact Mike Courey at 519-851-2677 or firstname.lastname@example.org