During its remarkable 130-year history, the Old East Village area has become an integral part of the story of London along with making far-reaching contributions to Canada and the rest of the world.
The Old East area was the site of groundbreaking research that led to the discovery of insulin. Today Sir Frederick Banting's scientific breakthrough is honoured with a museum that stands on the site of his former home on nearby Adelaide Street. The building is designated as a National Historic Site.
Imperial Oil, a major player in the world's petroleum industry, was born in Old East London when sixteen small oil refineries amalgamated there in 1880.
Just a short walk east along Dundas Street, the Western Fair has made Queens Park a favourite destination of millions of families since its arrival in Old East London back in 1887.
East London also has the distinction of giving The City of London its first mayor. Murray Anderson took office in 1855. As the founder of London East, Anderson earned a solid reputation as a manufacturer, most notably for his Globe Foundry ironworks located at Dundas and Adelaide Streets where our police station stands today.
The Old East Village holds important historical significance in the city's public transportation as well. London Street Railway later re-named the London Transportation Commission- operated for many years from the bus barns on Lyle Street. Although need for a larger facility saw the departure of what is today referred to as London Transit, the area continues to enjoy the benefit of excellent public transportation. The Old East Village is served by five major bus routes, which provide easy access to and from many areas of the city.
The Old East Village is a community that embraces its rich diversity. A welcoming home to people of numerous backgrounds, our village is truly a global village.
The inititialism East Of Adelaide has its roots in the early history of the City of London. Adelaide Street was the western boundary of the former Town of East London which was amalgamated with London in 1885.
Old East Village lies just east of downtown London, Ontario. It is bordered to the north by the CP rail yard at Central Ave, to the west by Adelaide Street, to the south by the CN rail lines at York St and to the east by Ashland Ave on the north side of Dundas St. and the CN/CP feeder lines at Kelloggs on the south side of Dundas St. The Old East Village Community Association (OEVCA) was formed in January of 2003.